THE HAWAII FIVE-O HOME PAGE
THIS SITE ON THE WWW SINCE 1994 • #H50 ON TV SINCE 1968!
FIVEOHOMEPAGE.COM • HAWAIIFIVEO.TV
"Would you convey to all -- and there are so many -- who still are fans of the show that I am so very appreciative of their comments.
It's truly amazing to me that so many years have passed since Len produced the first show and fans still remember."
-- The late Mrs. Rose Freeman, whose husband Leonard created Hawaii Five-O
Hawaii Five-O aired from September 1968 to April 1980, one of the longest continuous-running police series in U.S. television history. With few exceptions, it was filmed entirely on location in Hawaii.
Its fans list the authenticity and beauty of the scenery as its number one draw; second come the actors and the characters they portrayed. Another attraction is the series’ intelligent writing and intriguing plots, and its title sequence and musical theme (regarded by one critic as “the greatest TV theme of all time”). Its authenticity was further enhanced by the use of many local Island residents in supporting roles, which for some led to further parts in other series like Magnum, P.I., also filmed in Hawaii after Five-O ended.
Jack Lord played Steve McGarrett, head of an elite state police unit investigating “organized crime, murder, assassination attempts, foreign agents, felonies of every type.” James MacArthur played his second-in-command Danny (“Danno”) Williams, with local actors Kam Fong, Zulu, Al Harrington, Moe Keale and Herman Wedemeyer as well as Sharon Farrell and William Smith playing members of the Five-O team over its 12 years. The series was notable for the guest actors who appeared in episodes, including Ed Asner, Hume Cronyn, Patty Duke, Helen Hayes, Robert Loggia, Herbert Lom, Gavin MacLeod, Sal Mineo, Ricardo Montalban, Leslie Nielsen, Geraldine Page, Eleanor Parker, Jean Simmons, Robert Vaughn, and many more. McGarrett’s nemesis, the evil Wo Fat — “a Red Chinese agent in charge of the entire Pacific Asiatic theatre” — was played by Khigh Dhiegh.
A “reboot” of Hawaii Five-O started showing in North America in September, 2010 on CBS in the USA and Global in Canada as well as in other countries. Named Hawaii Five-0 with a zero to distinguish it from the original series, it originally starred Alex O’Loughlin (Steve McGarrett) and Scott Caan (Danny Williams), Daniel Dae Kim (Chin Ho Kelly) and Grace Park (Kono Kalakaua). Daniel Dae Kim and Grace Park left the show after the seventh season, to be replaced by Meaghan Rath (Tani Rey) and Beulah Koale (Junior Reigns). At the end of February, 2020, CBS announced that the then-current (tenth) season of the reboot would be the show’s last.
This site looks best when viewed with a browser on a computer. If you are using a cell phone, it's recommended to turn the phone to the Landscape Mode.
Thanks to Bobbi for her help with plots, casualty lists, and lists of license plates and numbers!
Thanks also to Kurt Tappe, Dan Stomierosky, Jeff Eldridge, Karen Rhodes and Fred Helfing.
EPISODE GUIDE GOOFS, TRIVIA AND MORE...
A collection of facts and trivia about Five-O, usually combined with "turgid anal-ysis." Some of this information may not be considered "politically correct" there are words which will be objectionable to certain sensitive individuals, so if you might be offended, then read no further! There are also plenty of spoilers. The late Mrs. Rose Freeman, wife of the creator of Hawaii Five-O, described this guide as an "outstanding presentation." Enjoy! Copyright ©1994-2023 by Mike Quigley. No reproduction of any kind without permission.
★★★★ = One of the very best episodes, a must-see.
★★★ = Better than average, worthy of attention.
★★ = Average, perhaps with a few moments of interest.
★ = Below average, a show to avoid.
Click here to see ratings for both shows all in one place.
CLASSIC FIVE-O (OH) (1968-1980) EPISODE LIST:
The Post-Industrial-Acoustic-Counterpunk band Hookahman from Edmonton, Canada is proud to have recorded the worst version of the classic Five-O theme song. It's on one of their albums. It was used to accompany the gag reel in one of the "reboot" season sets.
The Quebec group Les Baronics has recorded a version of the Five-O main theme.
Aloha Steve and Danno, tribute song, played by Radio Birdman (YouTube).
A song called This is McGarrett, created by Craig A. Little, using samples from the show.
Musical themes from the show (all in MP3 format): "Memories"; The "military" theme; The "violin" theme; The "trombone interval" theme (extended version from Vashon Part 2); The “marimba” theme; The “echoing trumpets” theme.
“Hawaiian”-sounding song (possibly composed for the show), first heard in the episode “Kiss the Queen Goodbye.”
Two examples of music for “the wave” composed by Don Ray (MP3 format): #1, #2.
Theme from the CBS Special Presentation banner, that opened all of the CBS special programming during the 1970s and 1980s, composed by Morton Stevens, from the music he did for Hawaii Five-O (it's on the Capitol Records soundtrack LP).
Home page of Don Ray, who scored or was music supervisor for numerous episodes of the show.
Music tracks from the soundtrack, including dialogue and sound effects.
More music tracks from the soundtrack, including dialogue and sound effects.
1990's B.C. Lotto 649 commercial (uses Five-O theme).
A blatant plug for my own music!
KONO, ANALYZE THESE NEWSPAPERS, MAGAZINES AND BOOKS FOR CLUES:
COMPREHENSIVE INDEX — search by title, actors, season/episode number, episode summary.
Complete list with plot summaries
Complete list without plot summaries
Complete list in production order (no links)
Complete list in alphabetical order (no links).
The oldest version of this site at www.archive.org
Very early versions of the site from 1994-1995: Seasons One-Four
— Seasons Five-Eight
— Seasons Nine-Twelve
Jump to a Season:
| Pilot Movie (Episode "0") | | 1st Season (Episodes 1-23) | | 2nd Season (Episodes 24-48) | | 3rd Season (Episodes 49-72) | | 4th Season (Episodes 73-96) | | 5th Season (Episodes 97-120) | | 6th Season (Episodes 121-144) | | 7th Season (Episodes 145-168) | | 8th Season (Episodes 169-191) | | 9th Season (Episodes 192-214) | | 10th Season (Episodes 215-238) | | 11th Season (Episodes 239-259) | | 12th Season (Episodes 260-278) | | 13th Season |
FIVE-0 (ZERO) "REBOOT" (2010-2020) EPISODE LIST:
Complete list with plot summaries.
Jump to a Season:
| 1st Season (Episodes 1-24) | | 2nd Season (Episodes 1-23)
| | 3rd Season (Episodes 1-24)
| | 4th Season (Episodes 1-22)
| | 5th Season (Episodes 1-25)
| | 6th Season (Episodes 1-25)
| | 7th Season (Episodes 1-25)
| | 8th Season (Episodes 1-25)
| | 9th Season (Episodes 1-25)
| | 10th Season (Episodes 1-22)
| | "Next" Season |
CBS SYNDICATION "SHOW BIBLE":
Complete listing with various options.
"GENTLEMEN, FIRST I WANT YOU TO TURN THESE WEB PAGES INSIDE OUT:"
-- audio; video.
- DANNO, FIGURE OUT THE BASIC M.O.:
- CHIN HO, YOU'RE IN CHARGE OF THE INQUIRY INTO THE MUSIC BUSINESS:
PURCHASE THE HAWAII FIVE-O SOUNDTRACK (OR INDIVIDUAL TRACKS) FROM AMAZON.COM
BUY THE SOUNDTRACK ON CD (FIRST TIME!) FROM SCREEN ARCHIVES ENTERTAINMENT
- Interesting article about the Five-O theme and composer Morton Stevens
- Composers for the Five-O episodes **BEING UPDATED**
- Check the CBS Collection at the UCLA Library for Five-O scores (search for either specific composers or just under "Hawaii Five-O").
- Photo of Morton Stevens, composer of the Five-O Theme and numerous episode scores.
- There was a Five-O soundtrack album ... and some other music which should have been on a soundtrack
- Sheet music to the main theme -- page one and page two.
- Lyrics to the Five-O theme ... hard to believe.
- "You Can Count on Me," vocal version of the main theme, done by Sammy Davis Jr..
- Another vocal version of the main theme, sung by Don Ho.
- Lyrics to "It Ain't No Big Thing," heard numerous times during the series.
- The Five-O theme song in MIDI format (for those with slow connections, original file was only 10K in size)
- The Five-O main theme and end titles from TV broadcast
- Music for the opening credits for all twelve seasons.
- Main theme for the failed TV pilot movie.
- First version of the main theme from the 2010 "reboot" of the show (later discarded).
- Re-recorded complete main theme
from the 2010 revival arranged and conducted by Brian Tyler.
- A total kick-ass version of the main theme, played by Gary Hoey.
- Main theme, played by Henry Mancini.
- Main theme, played by Dweezil Zappa.
- Five-O theme, performed by Brian Setzer and his band, live in Japan (YouTube).
- Classic version of the title music played by The Ventures (YouTube).
- Five-O theme (and other music), performed by Debbie Curtis Radio Big Band (YouTube).
- Bill Murray as Nick the Lounge Singer sings the Five-O theme on Saturday Night Live
FRANK, TRACK DOWN PUBLICATIONS THAT ARE TALKING ABOUT US (SOMETIMES NOT TOO NICELY)!
- From 1971 (September) Infamous TV Guide article: "Jack Lord, Superstar".
- From 1975 "Lord of the Islands," a total shaft job on Jack Lord from Playgirl Magazine.
- From September 17, 1996 National Perspirer article on Jack Lord's health with an alleged picture of Lord.
- From February 10, 1998 Globe article: Aloha, Jack. ** NEW! **
- From February 10, 1998 National Perspirer article: The secret Jack Lord took to his grave.
- From February 10, 1998 Star article: Secret heartache Jack Lord took to grave. ** NEW! **
- From February 21, 1998 US TV Guide: Tribute to Jack Lord.
- From April 1998, Cult TV magazine (UK) Crimewave!: Article about Five-O.
- From February 16, 1999 Globe article: Marie Lord reminisces about her reclusive husband.
- From December 7, 1999 Star article: James MacArthur shows off his "new life."
CHE FONG, RUN THESE SOUNDS THROUGH THE OSCILLOGRAPH...
DUKE, SOMEONE IS TRYING TO MAKE FIVE-O LOOK SILLY...
BEN, I WANT THE POLICE PHOTOGRAPHER OVER HERE ON THE DOUBLE!
LORI, GET EDDIE SHERMAN TO LOOK IN THE STAR-BULLETIN'S BACK ISSUES!
KIMO, SOME PEOPLE WANT TO WRITE ABOUT OUR "OTHER" CASES...
- The Five-O Drinking Game (Sirah style)
- Five-O parodies by SCTV and Paul Hogan/Benny Hill.
- Click here to see the SCTV parody.
- Click here to see the Paul Hogan/Benny Hill parody. NOTE: Revised - video lifted from YouTube (better quality and more complete than the one I had before).
- Jay Leno comments on the 1996 Five-O Convention in Burbank.
- The Church of Jack Lord from Mr. Mike's Mondo Video, featuring Dan Aykroyd.
- The MAD Magazine Five-O parody (now in PDF format)
- The Cracked Magazine Five-O parody (now in PDF format)
- Outakes from the 11th season episode Number One With A Bullet -- Complete List or selected highlights:
- #1 - McGarrett (Jack Lord) whistles and claps for Sally (Melveen Leed) as she finishes a song.
- #2 - Sally talks to McGarrett; Melveen breaks up laughing.
- #3 - Some very funny moments between Jack Lord and Melveen Leed. Jack Lord forgets his lines.
- #4 - Melveen Leed as Sally forgets her line, recovers and continues with the scene.
- The 13th Season (Some "lost" episodes I have uncovered)
- "Book Off, McGarrett!" -- Chin Ho tells what he really thinks about his boss. "Dan Williams" replies.
TRUCK, CHECK OUT WHY WE'RE IN THE NEWS AGAIN...
- Five-O comic from "TV Action", England, 1973 pages one, two,
eight (each around 150K)
- A plug for Karen Rhodes' book, Booking Five-O.
- Sylvia Lynch's biography Jack Lord: An Acting Life, contains a chapter on Five-O (at Amazon).
- Killer on the Loose by Deana Lisi
- A SHADO on Paradise by Pamela McCaughey, based on Five-O, UFO and Magnum, P.I.!
- Pau Hana excerpts from Five-O fan fiction.
- Man from U.N.C.L.E./Five-O crossovers by Bill Koenig: The
Five-O Affair, The
Forget-Me-Not Affair and The
JENNY, HERE IS SOME MATERIAL THAT SHOULD BE FILED, BUT I DON'T KNOW WHERE...
- Years after the fact, it has been revealed that the FBI meddled in the production of a Five-O show where they didn't look good.
Click here for details.
- Vancouver Sun article on the Five-O Home Page.
- CBC interview about the Five-O Home Page.
- The Five-O Home Page featured on CBS News Up To The Minute (includes video).
- This site was the winner in the Vancouver Province Super Site contest (November 6, 1997).
They wrote: "Talking about sheer work, takes us to the next winning site The Hawaii
Five-O Home Page ... created by Mike
Quigley of Vancouver. As he said in his description of the site, it's 'more than you ever wanted
to know about the TV show' but it's still a lot of fun. Quigley has to be a
fanatic on this. Who else would put up the lyrics to the song 'It Ain't No
Big Thing,' which he says was heard numerous times during the series?"
- 1997 feature on Jack Lord, containing interviews with his wife Marie and others from American Journal (includes video).
- Honolulu TV news coverage of the 1996 Five-O convention.
- Marie Lord talks about life with husband Jack at the 1999 Five-O convention (from Inside Edition).
- Jack Lord statue is dedicated on June 19, 2004 at Kahala Mall in this clip from Hawaii TV news broadcast.
- Read the Hawaii Five-O Usenet newsgroup alt.fan.hawaii-five-o (selected postings from the 1990s,
the group eventually got polluted with tons of spam) at Google
- The "Beau List" for Five-O stuntman and director Beau van den Ecker, compiled by Inglewolf.
- Lengthy interview with guest actor Michael Anderson Jr., who talks about Jack Lord, Stoney Burke and Five-O.
- Interview with Marj Dusay, who starred in Twenty-Four Karat Kill and The Singapore File.
- Interview with Sharon Farrell, who played Lori Wilson in the 12th season and guest starred in others.
- Pages for three actors who appeared in multiple Five-O episodes: Jimmy Borges, Elissa
Dulce, and Walter Omori.
- Nice things people have said to me about the Five-O Home Page in e-mail.
- The Hawaii Five-O Discussion Forum Archives.
- Fred's pictures of Five-O locations visited in 2014.
- Rama’s pictures of Five-O locations visited
- Five-O actors and the Oscars who's been nominated, who won.
- Covers of two Signet paperback novels by Michael Avallone, Hawaii Five-O and Terror in the Sun, published in 1968 and 1969
- Covers of two hardcover Whitman books (intended for kids!), Top Secret by Robert Sidney Bowen, published 1969 and The Octopus Caper by Leo R. Ellis, published 1971.
- Covers of two Five-O novels published in England, The Angry Battallion, depicting a macho McGarrett and Serpents in Paradise.
- Covers of German editions of two of the above Five-O books: #1 and #2.
- Early review of the show from TV Guide, December, 1968.
- TV Guide tributes to Jack Lord: Feb 21-27, 1998; Dec. 26, 1998-Jan. 1, 1999.
- Photos of the Five-O game -- #1, #2, #3 and #4.
- Five-O Periscope Dart Gun, Dart Gun Set (with badge and billy club), Cork Gun (with binoculars and badge) and Handcuffs (with key and "cop gun").
- Five-O Machine Pistol
- Pages devoted to bad words, "yellowface" actors and gay characters in Classic Five-O.
- Book excerpt: Classic Five-O is a Cult TV show. *** NEW! ***
"THEN, GENTLEMEN, MAKE THESE WEB SITES A TOP PRIORITY:"
Mike Quigley (a.k.a. "Mr. Mike") maintains The Hawaii Five-O Home Page (you're already there!) and there are several others as well:
"AND FINALLY, CHECK OUT THIS 'MR. MIKE' CHARACTER ... WHY IS HE SO OBSESSED WITH OUR OPERATION? WHAT ARE HIS OTHER INTERESTS? WHAT MAKES HIM TICK?"
Send some e-mail to me, Mike Quigley.
But first, see if your question is answered in our Quick FAQ.
NOTE: Since I have been on the Internet for over 25 years, my e-mail is very heavily filtered because of all the spam I get.
Make sure your e-mail has the words "Hawaii Five-O" in the subject line.
If you don't get a reply, try posting in the Discussion Forum.
Be warned -- your question might end up on a special page.
"I'm pleased to say that no Internet site has ever frightened me more than
yours. Congratulations. When I found yours, especially the
episode by episode breakdown, allowing me to look up my particular favorite
the bubonic plague hits Five-O I knew the Internet had gone out of
control." a visitor
"The fact that you have managed to not only capture every moment of 5-0 for 12 years, but catalog it to near perfection leaves me with no hope for civilization. Every bad plot line, including my favorite which consisted of evil 5-0 imposters, who even managed to construct a fake 5-0 office in an abandoned office to try an infiltrate McGarrett and his bunch, is covered."
"Mindless dedication. Inspiring. Delightful." - My pal Bob Smith, on Facebook
"I am a little worried about anyone who has this much information on Five-O ... you need help."
"You definitely have THE internet’s 5-0