Streets of San Francisco

Cop shows, detective shows, P.I. shows, and more...

Streets of San Francisco

Postby ringfire211 » Sat May 13, 2017 10:27 pm

STREETS OF SAN FRAN was a solid 70s cop show. Just off the top of my head some of my favorites from each season:

Season 1
----------
The First Day of Forever - James Olson as a man obsessed with cleaning up the city by killing prostitutes.
Tower Beyond Tragedy - Edward Mulhare and Stefanie Powers in a story about a man who is obsessed with a woman because she reminds him of a woman he loved and killed.
Act of Duty - Michael Burns plays a serial rapist and Brenda Vaccaro is the undercover cop recruited as bait to trap him. Directed by Lawrence Dobkin.
Beyond Vengeance - Joe Don Baker as a vengeful ex-con rapist who's out of prison and seeking revenge on Mike Stone.

Season 2
----------
For the Love of God - Peter Strauss as a psycho killing priests.
Shield of Honor - Mariette Hartley as a female cop and suspect in a possible leak in the police department.
Commitment - Stone is framed for bribery. Directed by Richard Donner.
Blockade - Don Stroud as a serial rapist on the loose.

Season 3
---------
Target: Red - Bill Bixby as a mentally unstable assassin out to kill a visiting Chinese communist dignitary.
Mask of Death - John Davidson as a schizophrenic male/female performer who's a psycho killer. A fan favorite!
Flags of Terror - domestic terrorists take people, including Keller, hostage.
License to Kill - Murray Hamilton as Stone's former partner who's out for revenge against a man who killed his son.
River of Fear - in a story which hearkens back to the classic Robert Mitchum film THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER, Peter Haskell plays a man out of prison who masquerades as a doctor and gets close to 2 kids in order to find hidden loot.
Labyrinth - a hunt for mobsters inside a hotel.

Season 4
---------
School of Fear - Maurice Evans as a teacher who kidnaps troublesome students in an attempt to reform them.
Most Likely to Succeed - Kristoffer Tabori as a student who under pressure to get into Harvard kills his teacher who was about to give him a failing grade.
Police Buff - Bill Bixby as a police wannabe who turns vigilante in order to "help" the cops fight crime.
Judgment Day - Michael Burns as a psycho killing judges.

Season 5
----------
The Drop - Eugene Roche as a kidnapper of the son (Parker Stevenson) of a wealthy businessman (Dabney Coleman).
Dead Lift - ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER! Enough said.
Breakup - Pernell Roberts as a man on the edge who thinks he killed a lawyer.
Time Out - Cliff Gorman as a prison guard trying to recapture some escapees.
ringfire211

Re: Streets of San Francisco

Postby Mr. Mike » Sun May 14, 2017 7:47 am

Using keywords from your message above, I think the greatest SOSF episode of all time would involve Arnold Schwarzenegger starring as a mentally unstable schizophrenic obsessed psycho serial rapist who is pissed off at Stone! :lol:
Mr. Mike
Site Admin

Postby ringfire211 » Mon May 15, 2017 7:24 am

Lol, yes that would be an epic tale!! It would also give Ah-nuld an opportunity to stretch his acting chops.

Zo you vant me to be dis biiiig strrrrrong rapist crrazy man??? Und I have schizophrenia toooo and I'm mental tooo? Vow!!! Dat ees so kewl!!! Arrrghhahhaha!! Totally kewl man!! Und I hate Stone's guts too because he put me away in da slammer??!! Awesome!!! Und now I vant to keel him so baaaad and just totally put all dis pain on him, like cut off his arms and head and gouge his eyes out!! Arrrghahahahha!!!! Dat ees sooooo kewl!!!!! Und I have dees totally big muscles toooo!!! Ya!! Argagagahaggaahaa!!!
ringfire211

Postby John Chergi » Mon May 15, 2017 3:36 pm

RINGFIRE
I'm very impressed by your Streets Of San Francisco list. Shield Of Honor sure was an excellent episode. Hartley fooled everyone for awhile as the leak. She was excellent in the role. I remember she shot the guy in the heart.
Act Of Duty loved that episode. Burns killed that beautiful woman police officer. It made me mad and Vaccaro another excellent acting job mourning her friend and luring Burns into being captured.
Target:Red I can't remember but I enjoyed the school house episode when the retired school teacher has those kids hostage in the room. I think Mask Of Death and Police Buff were the 2 best of the series although River Of Fear was quite good. A Peter Strauss fan and I enjoyed him in a few episodes. The one when he was in jail and he was framed for another crime when he was out. Also, the priest episode. JC
John Chergi

Postby John Chergi » Mon May 15, 2017 3:56 pm

Beyond Vengeance was as good as any of the Classic HFO episodes. Joe Don Baker outstanding acting as the ex-con harmonica playing guy who wants revenge on Stone. 10 years in the slammer. He kills Jeanie's friend on the bus and then sets his sight on Jeanie next. The harmonica sound Jeanie remembered from the bus from college and then later. Incredible episode! He had his rights and you could feel the tension building.
I wished Streets Of SF could have soldiered on another few years with Richard Hatch. There were some good episodes in Season 5. They could have developed his health food loving character some but it was only the 1 season. JC
John Chergi

Postby ringfire211 » Tue May 16, 2017 1:43 pm

"Beyond Vengeance" is easily the best episode from season 1 and is on par with some of the classic Five-O episodes! It's really a remake of the classic thriller CAPE FEAR where Robert Mitchum played the psychotic ex-con Max Cady who's out of prison and is out to put through hell the man who sent him up the river. The episode is intense, Joe Don is a total psycho creep, his target is Stone's daughter Jeannie, and that harmonica is a superb touch and really works to let you know the psycho is around. Plus the night-time ending outside SF's Legion of Honor Museum is totally creepy!! Feels like you're watching a movie, not a TV show. Has that film noir creepy feel to it!
ringfire211

Postby John Chergi » Sat May 20, 2017 10:27 pm

RINGFIRE
I had to look up the name of the episode but it was entitled Asylum. There's an incredible acting scene when they give Keller some kind of medication like he was crazy. He enters a psych patient facility to find out who was killing patients there. Excellent episode. JC
John Chergi

Postby ringfire211 » Sun May 21, 2017 8:46 pm

I remember "Asylum". Five-O alums James Olson and Michael Anderson, Jr. were in it. It was a good one. The general consensus is that season 3 was the show's peak! I tend to agree - lots of great ones that season! Like with Five-O, it took 2 seasons to really find its groove but by season 3 it was a well-oiled machine. Unlike Five-O, however, it quickly started its decline by season 5, which mostly had to do with Douglas leaving.
ringfire211

Postby John Chergi » Wed May 24, 2017 11:00 pm

I probably put Jacob's Boy in my Top 20 SOS. Brock Peters an excellent actor and Dabney Coleman as a businessman father make this a must see. Poor Jacob escaped prison down South and has settled in SF. He's an all-around jack of all trades and worked several years for a family. The wife died presumably of cancer or something. Jacob has helped to raise the boy for several years after the mother had passed. Things go bad for Jacob when 2 lowlifes try to blackmail Jacob for $. They know he's an escaped convict. From there, the story takes off with some twists and turns. The boy is now late teenager I would think but he still works for the family and helps the kid. This young man seems to worship Jacob who even has his own boat and is a SF Giants fan. JC
John Chergi

Postby ringfire211 » Thu May 25, 2017 3:43 pm

I can't remember Jacob's Boy too well, probably because I wasn't too impressed with it when I saw it. It wasn't a standout for me. I do remember Brock Peters and Dabney Coleman and that Peters was hiding something from his past. But that's about it. Will need to catch up on it.
ringfire211

Return to Other TV Shows Discussion