Nehemiah Persoff as a Japanese in a WILD WILD WEST episode

Cop shows, detective shows, P.I. shows, and more...

Nehemiah Persoff as a Japanese in a WILD WILD WEST episode

Postby ringfire211 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:23 pm

So I'm flipping through channels and stumble onto an episode of THE WILD WILD WEST (a show I really don't care for) and I see this Japanese dude and I'm scratching my head why does this guy sound like Nehemiah Persoff?? :? I take a closer look and what do you know... it IS Persoff!!! :lol: :shock: Complete with slanted eyes and everything. Let me tell you - Persoff playing Japanese has to be seen to be believed!! He makes Ricardo Montalban as Tokura look downright authentic. To top it off Persoff is playing some type of Hawaiian royalty so I really don't get this whole Japanese thing. But get this - his character's name is Barclay! :? How very Japanese or Hawaiian, eh? This show is just beyond bizarre!
ringfire211

Re: Nehemiah Persoff as a Japanese in a WILD WILD WEST episo

Postby Steven from Miami » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:19 am

The 1960s are a foreign country, they do things differently there." ;)

I remember that episode more for the fact that James West does not kiss or otherwise engage in an episode-long romance with the story's Asian female character, which to my knowledge, would never happen in any other episode of the series had said female been caucasian.
Steven from Miami

Postby epaddon » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:54 pm

Part of the problem back then was that there was only one male Asian-American actor who would get used on TV guest shots and that was James Shigeta. If he wasn't available, then you were going to see a Westerner in not convincing makeup.

However, the hands-down most hilarious one of them all is William Shatner on a "Naked City" episode in 1961 as a Burmese sailor named "Mong Tu." It is so unintentionally hilarious just thinking of it cracks me up!
epaddon

Postby ringfire211 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:41 pm

I'm assuming this is what you speak of? https://youtu.be/iEdXZuh9R38
Lol! Unfortunately it's in German.

Old Burmese proverb say William Shatner no play good Burmese.
ringfire211

Postby epaddon » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:10 pm

Yep that's the one. You aren't getting the full comic effect until you hear the Shat go, "I am Mong Tu!" and then as he is cornered, "I will shave my head and take monk's vows!"
epaddon

Postby epaddon » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:38 pm

ringfire211 wrote: But get this - his character's name is Barclay! :? How very Japanese or Hawaiian, eh? This show is just beyond bizarre!

Bizarre like Chin Ho KELLY? :D
epaddon

Return to Other TV Shows Discussion